Reporting to the Director, Quality & Manufacturing Process, the Lab Technologist is a hybrid role that will contribute to Product Innovation through testing of formulations, monitoring and documenting results and working with the Director, R&D, cross-functional team members and external stakeholders. The Lab Technologist will also play a key role as a member of the Quality team ensuring products are produced with the highest quality and adherence to our quality program and organic certification.
Primary Job Responsibilities:
- Responsible for the preparation and execution of extraction, blending and processing protocols of natural and food products.
- Ensure consistency of product through quality control testing and adherence to procedures.
- Follow defined Good Manufacturing Practices (GMP) to ensure the highest-level quality.
- Monitor and enhance sanitation protocols of all production equipment and tools including workspace (production and R&D lab space, lab equipment, containers, and appliances.
- Assist with creation of new SOPs and updating existing SOPs as required, batch production records and quality forms.
- Ability to work on process development and research activities.
- Ability to follow SOPs, communicate effectively and work well with others.
- Ability to master and control all equipment in a laboratory-type environment including; extraction equipment, centrifuges, homogenizers, concentrators, filtration and drying equipment.
- Performs experimental and scale-up work alongside with the senior researcher (may include remote collaboration with academic institutions and 3rd party manufacturing staff.
- Work towards meeting department goals around sustainability, stability, bulk tincture shelf life, yields, quality and cost.
- Prepare audit plans and Quality Lead/Prime for all compliance reporting, submissions and on-site partner program audits for quality and regulatory compliance
- Other duties as required.
- Post-Secondary Diploma/Degree in Science, Chemistry or Herbal Medicine
- 1-2 year of “hands-on” laboratory experience, ideally related to separation technologies, botanicals, and/or pharmaceutical processing is preferred.
- Experience with extraction methods as well as downstream processing of botanical materials is highly desirable.
- Must be highly motivated, detail oriented and be able to work efficiently in a fast-paced environment.
- Acute problem-solving skills and data driven decision-making ability, coupled with a mechanical aptitude are essential to effectively execute in this hybrid role.
- Ability to lift 10kgs with each hand is required.
- Excellent research acumen, data organization and MS Office skills to manage data.
- Must have Good Documentation Practices.
- Ability to develop an understanding of Health Canada regulations as it relates to herbal remedies and natural products
- Strong communication skills are essential (written, oral and presentation)
- Experience with botanical extraction is a definite asset
- Must obtain a clear criminal background check to complete the hiring process
Employees wishing to apply or to refer a qualified candidate may do so by email or slack to email@example.com by February 8, 2018.