Spring and fall are the most popular times of year for a natural detox plan—they’re both seasons that inspire a fresh start. Helping your body gently clean out toxins is one positive way to regain your energy and prep for the busy days ahead. “The lymphatic system, bowel, kidneys and liver do the cleansing work,” says Dr. Terry Vanderheyden, a naturopathic doctor and registered herbalist in Barry’s Bay, Ontario, who is St. Francis Herb Farm’s medical advisor. “The body often needs a helping hand to eliminate harmful substances.”
Detox plans usually have two parts: a change in diet, complemented by support from natural ingredients and herbal medicine.
Your Support Plan
There are a number of detox plans out there. A good approach to consider is one that includes:
• Burdock, traditionally used in herbal medicine to help your body remove built-up waste products through the kidneys, skin and mucous membranes.
• Blue flag, to help cleanse the lymphatic system. The lymphatic system works with the body’s immune system to combat infection.
• A liver tonic tea that contains schisandra berries, used in Traditional Chinese Medicine to treat fatigue and help the liver to metabolize and filter out toxins.
• Psyllium fibre, which works as a gentle laxative.
• Triphala, a tonic used in Ayurvedic medicine to boost the digestive power of the intestines and to rejuvenate the whole body.
Have questions? Just visit our Great Questions Answered page to learn more or to submit a question.
"Try and stay positive and focus on what you can eat, rather than what you can’t. You’ll find yourself feeling better and better as you move further along. Choose filtered or distilled water, herbal teas and pure fruit or vegetable juices. Enjoy your drink 30 minutes before or 60 minutes after your meal."