Few of us had heard about coconut oil even five years ago, but now it’s a staple in many kitchens. No wonder: it’s a versatile, heart-healthy fat that plays a starring role in good health. Here’s why to use it all the time, not just once in a while.
1.It has amazing health benefits
- Contains lauric acid, which helps to regulate thyroid function.
- Supports healthy cholesterol levels and helps to ward off stroke, heart disease, high blood pressure and atherosclerosis.
- Helps balance blood sugar levels
- Works to reduce chronic inflammation and support tissue repair and healing
- Plays a role in stimulating the production of ketones, which are thought to provide the brain with essential nutrients that help to slow mental impairment as we age.
- Fights bacterial, viral, fungal and parasitic infection and helps to build a strong immune system
2. It won’t make you fat
- Coconut oil is a quick source of energy, notes Melissa Ramos, a nutritionist and owner of SexyFoodTherapy.com in Toronto. “Fat, including coconut oil, doesn’t make you fat. The fats in coconut oil are burned by the liver as fuel, not stored in the body.”
3. It’s easy to use
- Coconut oil resists oxidation, so it has a long shelf life. A soft solid at room temperature, coconut oil quickly liquefies when heated.
- Swap the vegetable oil in baking, such as banana muffins, with coconut oil, suggests Caitlin Rivett-Carnac, co-owner of St. Francis Herb Farm. “The muffins are moist and delicious, and much better for you too.”
- Combine it with ghee in buttered coffee.
- Use it to sauté vegetables or veggie fritters.
- Toss melted coconut oil with spices, garlic and sliced potatoes, then bake.
- Mix with fresh spices and top a nearly cooked steak, then place under the broiler for one minute.
- For more information on healthy fats look at our Why You Should Cook with Healthy Fats blog.
Have questions? Just visit our Great Questions Answered page to learn more or to submit a question.
Experiment with coconut oil and a few of your favourite dishes…you’ll make them even better and healthier.